Sunday, November 2, 2008

10 Years Ago Today...

It was on this day 10 years ago that my four year old son and I began our journey. We started Monday morning, November 2nd, off bright and early with a three hour stretch ahead of us. Although we did not know it at the time, it was a path we would continue to travel many,many times, even to this day. We arrived at our destination mid-morning, not knowing what was to come. Then in a blink of an eye, outstretched arms greeted us, filled with love and warmth. Questions were asked, answers were given, and we were told to report back the next day for more testing. The next day...24 hours later... how would I survive not knowing?

My mind tried to make sense of it all, but deep down my heart already knew the truth. One thing I've come to believe as a mom, is that we have this "sense" (A vague feeling or premonition) when it comes to our children. I've learned to trust this inner feeling, although at times I wish it were wrong. This was one of those times.

That night was long and seem to last forever. I tossed and turned, hour after hour, wondering what the next day would bring in our lives. The sun finally peaked over the horizon, where we woke to a new day. Our journey began shortly after light, as we ventured out into the cool, brisk morning air. This time, my father accompanied us on our path. We arrived at our destination right on time, where my four year old was given an IV and blood was drawn. He then drank a glucose beverage. Straight sugar...75 grams in fact. If you've never been blessed to drink a glucose beverage, you aren't missing out on much. It tastes like pop with no carbonation. Nasty stuff!

This process continued all morning; drink...30 minutes later blood drawn, drink...1 hour later blood drawn, drink... 2 hours later blood drawn, drink... 3 hours later and last blood draw. During this time, I played and laughed with my lil' boy. His smile lit up the room, as the quiet halls were filled with his laughter. There was a time that we simply held each other in silence, drifting off to dreamland, but it didn't last long. I woke to the ringing of a phone, then a lady's voice calling out to me. I was startled at first, but quickly moved for the phone. On the other end was another ladies' voice. "Mrs. Spore?" "Yes,this is she" I replied. "We have the results back to your sons' test and they were positive. He is being admitted as we speak. The doctor will be over soon to speak with you." I barely got, "Thank you" out before I froze in shock. Surely I had heard her wrong. How could? Why? But? I tried with all my might to tell myself I was still dreaming, yet the emptiness in the pit of my stomach and the cold, wet tears on my cheeks were sure signs I was awake. I hung the phone up and before I could look over at my lil' boy with the big smile and brown freckles across his nose I was engulfed by my father's arms. We held each other, crying, for we knew what lied ahead for the one we loved so dearly.

0 comments: